Saturday, March 12, 2011

Drive-by Heartbreak...

Today's "GAH!" moment, brought to you by Luke:


Dinner time: I'm at the stove, Luke is twirling about behind me, pretending to be Luke Skywalker, Matthew is begging me to let him stir and chop and the dog keeps getting underfoot. Typical supper time chaos, right?

Out of nowhere, this from Luke:

Mummy, why did Uncle Andrew die?

Me: Uh....
Matthew: Because his heart was broken, right Mummy?
Luke: His heart broke, right? Broke right in half?
Me: Well, his heart was tired because his heart was sick. Uncle Andrew's heart didn't break, Luke. It just stopped working.
Luke: But why?
Me: I don't know, Lukey.
Luke: We miss him, don't we Mummy?
Me: Yes, we do.
Luke: I am so frustertrated with Uncle Andrew.
Me: Why's that, Luke?
Luke: Because he's not here to love me and play cars.
Me: Oh.
Luke: And it makes you cry that he died. And Matthew, too.

Which both Matthew and I promptly did, while Luke twirled out, a Jedi knight once more.

Ain't that just a heartbreaking mess of a conversation? As usual,  I was COMPLETELY unprepared for these random questions. Drive-by heartbreaks.

Methinks that this will be a Baileys-in-hot-chocolate kind of evening...


Gah.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. I love how kids deal with grief in the way they just "put it out there" but how I wish they didn't have to deal with it at all.

    This post is indeed a drive-by heartbreak.

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete