Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mark's Dreaming of a PINK Christmas...

Tonight's after-dinner conversation:

Matthew: Daddy! Mummy's making a Christmas Wish List. What do you want from Santa?
Mark: A d-a-u-g-h-t-e-r
Luke: A dog?
Liz: Ha! No way, buster. Uh uh.
Matthew: What does he want, Mummy?
Liz: A daughter. Ha!
Matthew: A daughter?
Luke: A girl?
Mark: I have two boys. Don't you think a little girl would be a great addition to our family?
Liz: (telepathically, to Mark): You. are. insane.
Matthew: A sister?
Liz: A sister for you and Luke. Would you like a sister?
Matthew: Uh...not really. I like being just Matthew and Luke.
Liz: Me too, Matthew. I don't want another baby, either.
Luke: No sisters. No babies.

Poor Mark. Another dream, dashed.

To Matthew, I whispered, "Tell you what, though. We can buy Daddy a baby dolly - a girl one. And that can be his daughter, OK?"

Matthew (laughing uproariously): Okay, Mummy! Let's buy Daddy a daughter!

"Welcome Home, Baby Emily"
from framedmemories.ca
An Ashton-Drake Doll


So, to the McLennan Christmas Wish List, I added two things:

1. Baby Girl Dolly
2. Vasectomy

Guess it's true, what the sign on our wall says:

"Remember, as far as anyone knows, we're a nice, normal family..."

Sigh. More fodder for the therapists, I say.



And you? What sort of crazy stuff is your family up to, these days?

8 comments:

  1. That was awesome! Although, a little red headed girl would be adorable....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious. I have that sign as a magnet on our fridge. I kid you not...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not vasectomies, that's for sure...
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can delete the “Baby Girl Doll” off of the list! The other item is...well...negotiable. But wouldn’t a nice curly redheaded daughter be nice? Mark, Matthew, Luke and Johnette (Johna maybe?) sounds.... oh yeah, and Liz... sounds just right.

    Husband

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with "Husband", but I'd rethink the name;). A little redheaded girl would make a nice addition...he does know that there is a 50% chance you'd get a 3rd redheaded boy though right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Back up: If you have come up with a new way to guarantee the gender of your child at conception, I say go for it. Because that my friend, is a million dollar discovery.

    Love, Dolphin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love for you to have a wonderful little girl. But as was said above - 50/50 chance. Could end up with a Thomas instead of Tomasina.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well actually, there are recipes that you can find for making the gender you want. My parents made use of the recipe for a boy after having two girls.

    ReplyDelete